Skip to main content
Creator Spotlight: Meet Mary
Updated over a week ago

I'm currently in...

Mexico City. It’s my dad’s hometown, and I decided to make it my home too - 40 years after he moved to Canada! It’s a city lined with violet jacarandas and gleaming rubber trees, ever vibrating with the sounds of tamale vendors, organ grinders and mariachis. There are fountains, dog walkers, fresh juice stands and shoe shiners on every block. All this under the watchful eye of Popocatepetl, a volcano that occasionally coats the streets in a snow-like layer of ash. We just finished celebrating Day of the Dead here, so the city is still fragrant with sweet marigolds and lit by the soft glow of candles.

In my spare time you will find me...

reading, daydreaming, wandering the city with my pet chihuahua, and savouring cardamom coffee tonics. My typical day is spent catching up with friends over tacos or chilaquiles, cooking elaborate brunches for people I love, and counting the hummingbirds that come to my balcony. I might break out my watercolours and paint something if I don’t give in to the ever-tempting afternoon nap.

I'm passionate about...

helping authors create their best work possible. Recently I’ve pivoted to working with overseas students applying to Ivy League colleges. I hope to spend next fall in China working with applicants one-on-one… which means I might actually put my East Asia Studies and Chinese Language degree to good use.

My dream brief would be...

travel content that lets me play with escapism. I love working with long-form travel content, such as in-depth articles about a niche destination I would not have had a reason to learn about on my own. Really it’s an excuse to fuel my own perpetual wanderlust.

Did this answer your question?