Skip to main content
Creator Spotlight: Meet Koen
Updated over a week ago

I'm currently in...

Belgium. I live with my wife and three daughters in the northern Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, in a small town called Pulle. I enjoy living here because of the peace, the quietness, and the nearby nature. After just a few minutes of walking, all you can see is meadows, farmland, and forests. With a bit of luck, at sunrise or sunset you can see some deer strolling at the edge of the forest.

If I want to go to a restaurant, the theatre or the cinema, the cities of Antwerp, Lier and Herentals are only a half an hour drive away. The coast and the endless forests of the Ardennes are also within easy reach. So, it doesn’t take much effort to get into holiday mode.

In my spare time you will find me...

near a book. That's not really a geographical location, I know, but I just love to read anywhere. On the couch, in the garden, on holiday, there is always a book nearby. John Grisham's legal thrillers are among my favourites, but I can also recommend the books of Tommy Wieringa, Ilja Leonard Pfeijffer and John Irving. In recent years, I have also been reading more and more non-fiction books. (Auto)biographies of Belgian and international politicians, entrepreneurs, athletes, and singers have been on my shelves.

When I'm not reading, I spend time in my garden (trying to grow my own vegetables) or I go out. Occasionally I go to theatre, preferably for the performance of a stand-up comedian (that penchant for language, you know). For more active activities, I opt for hiking and cycling. Very often in and around my hometown, but at least once a year also on holiday. By the way, what I enjoy at least as much as going on a trip is preparing for it. That way, my vacations often take many months. Abroad, I try to visit nature or national parks, for instance in North America. Last year, for instance, I had the pleasure of exploring Fundy National Park in the Canadian province of New Brunswick. Not as well-known and spectacular as, say, Niagara Falls, but highly recommended for those who love beautiful scenery and tranquillity.

I'm passionate about...

languages! I have been fortunate to have always been able to apply this passion in my professional career. As a copywriter for Teletext (yes, I experienced the time when this was a popular medium, before the breakthrough of the internet) at the national television broadcasting company, as an editor at a newspaper and for the last ten years as a copywriter and translator.

I experience this passion for language as a great joy, others are sometimes annoyed by it. I admit I cannot resist pointing out language mistakes. Typing errors or grammatical mistakes in messages, newspapers, traffic signs, subtitles on TV... I can't ignore them. I can’t help it: 'the right word in the right place' is simply the motto of my job.

My dream brief would be...

a project regarding tourism, sports, or literature. I enjoy tackling these three subjects with creativity. If I can also work with people who, like me, are passionate about languages, then it is nothing but fun. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to work on many such projects so far.

Did this answer your question?